Monday, May 12, 2008

Navy And Wheat

Navy and yellow is a great color palette, and as I've said previously, I love just about any shade of blue and yellow together. I started wondering what else might go well with navy, and then I saw this Nicole Miller dress, loved the warm sheen of the navy fabric, and decided to give a navy and wheat inspiration board a shot. As much as I love the combination of chocolate brown and light or Tiffany blue, after compiling this board, I think I like the navy and wheat combo even better! Just as sophisticated, but less expected.

Also unexpected are the wheat boutonniere and centerpiece--lighthearted touches as a nod to the color scheme. In fact, this wedding ended up having a bunch of unusual touches, from the not-your-everyday bridesmaid dress to the way the reception tables are lit (the white of that table is actually light; click here to see the original, full-size image).

And I'd like to take just a second to sing Reem Acra's praises. The wedding dress featured in this inspiration board is all kinds of beautiful. I love it!

Finally, a question. I have been to five weddings so far this year, and at all but one of the weddings, the cake has had a color-scheme-coordinated ribbon around the base of each layer of cake. I love this look, and was considering it for my own wedding, but now I'm thinking it might be too much of a trend and might look dated a few years down the road (you know, "oh, that's so 2008!"). What do you all think? Is this look too trendy right now? How will it hold up over time?



Row 1. Photo 1: Dress from Nicole Miller. Photo 2: Suit from J.Crew. Photo 3: Wedding dress from Reem Acra. Photo 4: Reception decor from Project Wedding. Photo 5: Wheat centerpiece from Martha Stewart Weddings. Photo 6: Navy wedding invitation from Mine-By-Design.

Row 2. Photo 1: Ivory bridal bouquet from The Knot. Photo 2: Wheat boutonniere from The Knot. Photo 3: Cake from The Cake Blog. Photo 4: Wheat field in the Palouse from Travel Washington. Photo 5: Gold programs from Project Wedding.

No comments: